Larnaca Medieval Castle

EXCURSIONS / Museums / Larnaca / Larnaca Medieval Castle

According to older written sources, such as Florius Boustronius and Jauna, the Castle dates to an earlier period, during the years of the reign of King James I (1382-1398). These sources mention that the Castle was constructed in order to protect the harbour of the town which, after the capture of Famagusta, was used as the island's main port.

Other references by travellers confirm that the Castle was constructed before 1625. Nothing is known about the plan of the 14th century Castle. In its present state of conservation the castle consists of a complex of buildings constructed during different chronological periods. The two -storey building on the north side was constructed during the Ottoman period, as is indicated by its architectural style and a Turkish inscription above the entrance, whereas the east and south wings belong to earlier phases. The British Administration used the western chamber of the ground floor in the east for the execution of prisoners. The gallows which must had been constructed in the room, were in use until 1948.

Today the Castle houses a small museum consisting of three rooms situated on the upper floor of the main building, directly above the entrance. Antiquities from Early Christian, Byzantine and Post-Byzantine monuments of Cyprus (4th-16th centuries A.D.) are exhibited in the western room. Photographs of Byzantine Wall-paintings dated from 11th-16th centuries A.D. are exhibited in the central room. In the large eastern room representative examples of medieval glazed pottery (Sgraffito ware) (12th –18th centuries), metal cooking utensils and guns (18th-19th centuries) as well as helmets and swords (15th-16th centuries) are on display.

The objects’ exhibition is enriched with photographs of defensive structures (11th-17th centuries) and Gothic and Renaissance architecture styles of Cyprus (13th-16th centuries). The easternmost part of the last room has been transformed, with the appropriate furnishing, into an Ottoman ontas of the 18th-19th centuries.

Address: Athinon Avenue
Τelephone : 24304576

 

Σχετικά Άρθρα


Petra tou Romiou

This interesting geological formation of huge rocks off the southwest coast in the Paphos district forms one of the most...


Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis Church

The church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis "Saint Nicholas of the Roof" near the village of Kakopetria belonged to a...


Panagia Asinou Church

The famous Byzantine church of Asinou, a UNESCO World Heritage site, has some of the finest examples of Byzantine wall...


Kastella Beach

Kastella Beach is a sandy beach located in Agios Tychonas Limassol.