Situated in the old part of Larnaka (Larnaca) behind the ruins of ancient Kition, Tuzla Mosque is one of the oldest buildings in the city.
Once a medieval church, it was turned into a mosque after the Ottoman occupation of 1571. Before that, it used to be the Catholic Church of the Holy Cross (S. Croce) built in the 12th or 13th century. This church may have been founded as Basilica - type Orthodox Church, but one of its three characteristic corridors was demolished. Its Byzantine origin is also corroborated by recently discovered Byzantine wall paintings.
The minaret is built on the foundations of the bell tower. Opposite this mosque is an elegant stone built public water fountain from the Venetian period (1489 - 1570). Historical sources indicate the Venetian governor’s building was nearby.
Operating Hours: Any reasonable hour and whenever there is no prayer.
Operating Period: All year round