Agios Neofytos Ecclesiastical Museum lies within the Agios Neofytos Monastery and exhibits a variety of valuable relics such as important icons and other ecclesiastical objects.
THE MUSEUM OF THE MONASTERY
In order to preserve its treasures and also to make them accessible to the visitors, the Monastery has created a Museum, under its east wing, in which significant treasures are on display. The Museum is consisted of two departments. The purely ecclesiastical in which icons, holy items, manuscripts, and old documents and vestments are on display, dating back from the end of the 12th to the 19th century, and the non-ecclesiastical in which artifacts of the Geometric and Archaic (900 - 600 BC) period in Cyprus are mainly displayed.
The visitor descends to the Museum via a ladder built at the north end of the eastern wing. Here, icons of small proportions, mainly of the 19th century, are on display. Only one icon, one of the Enthroned Virgin Mary holding Christ upon her laps, is of large proportions. This icon dates back to 1884.
The lobby is separated from the 1st chamber by a large showcase, in which a wooden altar of 1864, Holy Chalices and Holy Trays of the 19th century, woodcut crosses and various other Holy items of the 18th and 19th century are on display.
In the 1st chamber you will come across some very important icons, dating back to 1183. There are even icons of the 16th century.
In the 2nd chamber, two pairs of Bema Doors that date back to the end of the 18th century are displayed. There are also several icons of the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th century. In this chamber six censers, the oldest dating back to 1691 and the earliest to the 20th century, are also exhibited. In the same chamber there are various Gospels with vermeil covers, manuscripts and old documents. The oldest document includes speeches of Saint Neofytos and dates back to the end of the 12th century. There is also a manuscript that dates back to the 16th century.
In the 3rd chamber there are icons, miniatures and a stole. Quite important is the "Panagia I Eglistriani" (Madonna of the Retreat) that dates back to the beginning of the 16th century.
In the 4th chamber there are icons of Saint Neofytos and the Great icon of the Assumption, as well as Priors' staffs of the 18th and 18th century.
When exiting the chamber, the visitor enters the great hall in the west where the pots of the geometric and Archaic Period are exhibited and then exits through the built ladder at the north end of the Museum.
Operating Period: All year round