The trail is located at an altitude of 1600m above sea level on the ridge of Madari and offers panoramic views from everywhere you look. He ends near the top where Brothers and Madari fire lookout station. Linked trails Madari - Selladi of Karamanli and Doxa si o Theos - Moutti the country. At the starting point (position "Thank God" there is a fountain with drinking water. There is access to a vehicle from the road Beads - Polystypos direction Brothers peak is 3 km. The road is paved until distance 800m from the start but the last 800 m are on uneven, narrow and steep dirt road.
Near the starting point is the beautiful village Kyperounta:
At the foot of Madari emerges a beautiful picturesque village, Kyperounta. Kyperounta is the largest mountain village of Cyprus and today has around fifteen hundred inhabitants. The village belongs to the geographical region of Pitsilia and adjacent to the Troodos Mountains. It is just about 43 kilometers north of the city of Limassol and 78 kilometers from Nicosia and the northern border are part of the administrative limits of the Nicosia - Limassol.
The village is situated at an altitude lower point of one thousand one hundred and thirty meters to one thousand three hundred meters and is ranked in the highest villages of Cyprus. Specifically it is the third highest village of the island after the Baptist and Handria villages. The mountains that surround the village have a height of one thousand three hundred and twenty to one thousand five hundred thirty-six meters, the highest being Madari mountain. The majestic mountain that dominates the north of the village. Kyperounta penetrate the main tributaries of Kourris dismembering it into narrow deep valleys. The village receives an average annual rainfall of about seven hundred and forty millimeters. The Kyperounta offers superb climatic conditions. Climate Kyperounta is dry and stable. In winter the temperature drops below zero, with frost and snow. Summer is mild and enjoyable. This unique climate that holds Kyperounta throughout the Middle East, the English Colony Government to build a Sanatorium - current Hospital. This option has brought extremely positive results for patients with respiratory or chest diseases. The path to the village is equally fascinating and the scenery. The Kyperounta connected with neighboring villages through tortuous roads. To the east is associated with Handria, while in the southeast with Dymes. Southwest united with Asbestos and through the 'mountain resorts of Troodos. " The cultivated land harmoniously alternate with wild vegetation land drowned in pine trees, "them together, the xystarkes and golden oak."
The villagers have as main occupation agriculture and they grow a lot of fruit trees such as peaches, plums, cherries, almonds, walnuts, vegetables, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and others) having approximately 1/3 of a national production of apples and pears. The villagers are engaged in viticulture wine varieties and the winemaking. The village even has two wineries, the Royal (with several awards to his credit in Cyprus and abroad) and the Smashing. Limited is also livestock in Kyperounta, like the other villages of Pitsilia. In 1985 it took place the breeding five hundred thirty-five kid and nowadays continues rearing birds, rabbits primarily for residential use. Nowadays, the village has its own wastewater tertiary treatment system. The population of the village from 1881 to 1976 followed an upward trend, in contrast to the 1982 decrease.
Population growth was mainly due to the operation of the neighboring mine of asbestos and the development of farming. The table below is evident populating course Kyperounta. Year Population Year Population 1881 288 1946 1217 1891 341 1960 1548 1901 415 1973 1806 1911 509 1976 2007 1921 567 1982 1636 1931 652 The name of the probable village associated with the plant 'nutsedge "or" tiger nut "or" nutsedge "or" Kapoor " . In particular the "nutsedge" is a weed that grows in the region and bears the scientific name "cyperus rotunus" which abounds in the area and used as one of the main foods of animal. The establishment of the village probably dates back to the Byzantine era. This testifies the reference of the name in a series of folk songs between the 9th-11th century. One of these folk songs are Marouthkia.
During the Frankish period, such rescues de Latri the «Chiperonda» ranked among the villages that were royal estates. Reference to the village as «Choperoda» found and in 1573 the map of Abraham Ortelius. During the Turkish occupation, the village was divided into two neighborhoods which crossed the river Kouris. One neighborhood was built around the church of Agia Marina, the other to the east of the Church of Our Lady. The houses were built in such a way as "to be interconnected with each other" and their roofs are joined to form an imaginary road. This architecture helped residents escape in case of raids and looting of Turkish officials. Particular militancy shown by villagers as the First World, Second World, the Greek-Italian war and the national war of 1955-1959 with participation in activity of several young Community. In the last festival, the entire village was instrumental in conducting with the participation of many anonymous heroes in ambushes and the supply of fighters. During the anti-colonial struggle, in the name of freedom they sacrificed Avgoustis Sava, Georgios Charalambous, Christodoulos Kannaouros and Kyriakos Charalambous. It is worth noting that the leader Digenis stayed a long time in Kyperounta. The Kyperounta, still maintains the traditional folk architecture of our country. Give special charm to the village "religious sites", clearly the main church of Agia Marina, the church of Our Lady and Chrysosotiros and the Chapel of the Holy Cross. It should be noted that the chapel has one of "the interesting church sculpture" and frescoes dating back to 1521. The chapel holds a position in the list of the Unesco World Heritage site and has been converted into a museum.
Starting point: (a) The site "Thank God" in distance of 2 km from Kyperounta and 5 km from Spilia on the road Kyperounta-Caves
Trail length: 3,8 km
Considerable time: 2 hours
Degree of difficulty: 3
ADDRESS: Region Massif Madari