This route passes through vineyards and land with fruit trees such as apple, cherry and pear trees. The first section starts near the village of Lagoudera, runs parallel to the river and crosses. On the ridge Madari - Papoutsa the view is panoramic. From the top it is possible to proceed to the Madari, along the road or using the network of trails that start at the top Brothers. The Lagoudera starting point is near the Lagoudera trail - Cross Agiasmati, and the path terminates in Agros.
How many know, truth, for Agros?
It is a village in Limassol, built amphitheatrically among high mountains at 1100 meters altitude. It has 800 inhabitants and is one of the most interesting villages of Cyprus and Kefalochori Pitsilia. It retains its traditional character and as you will see it has a particularly beautiful natural environment and rich historical and cultural sites. It keeps the manners, customs and traditions and is characterized by its diligence and progressiveness of its residents. It also has a modern motorway, a transport hub between Nicosia - Limassol and Troodos.
Features crèches, Kindergarten, Elementary, High School, Agricultural Training Centre, Police Station, Post Office, Health Centre, Banks, Super Market, Football field, Tennis basketball and Regional Theatre. The main production is grapes, horticulture products, excellent quality fruit, soutzioukko, traditional sausages (sausages, lountza, hams) traditional sweets and jams. The residents also work in tourism (hotels 3 and 1-star hotel apartments, guesthouses, cafes, taverns and nightclubs).
NAME VILLAGE - BRIEF HISTORY OF AGROS
The village of Agros was named after the Monastery of Megalos Agros that was built in the area which is now the Church of Our Lady of Agros. According to tradition 40 monks from Cyzicus in Asia Minor, during the Iconoclastic left the Monastery of Megalos Agros and came to Cyprus bringing with them the picture of Mary. Resulted in the district today Agros, they stayed for a time in a cave and then built a new monastery and naming it as their original Abbey "Monastery of Megalos Agros". In 1692 AD pestilence fell across Cyprus sent the tomb 2/3 of the inhabitants. Those residents were saved from pestilence abandoned their settlements and settled near the monastery. So slowly we created a new village called Agros. Finally in 1894 the monastery was destroyed and the village despatched having this heavy historical heritage.
Churches worth visiting!
The great iconoclast and abbot of the monastery then Virgin Eleousa, called "St Theophanes in his large Agros" originating from Asia Minor, was convicted and expelled. Banished to Samothrace, where 817 died there. Since 817- 842 (period of iconoclasm) the great supporter faithfully performed his duty. Because the abbot refused to sign imperial decrees, they were directed against the images, sentenced.
The monks who lived with him in the same monastery (which shall retain the same name dedicated to Virgin Eleousa) in Asia Minor, after his death, and they decided to come to Cyprus. Coming in Cyprus and for some time lived in a cave there in the Agros village. Unknown for how long inhabited the cave. 817, and brought the image of the Virgin Eleousa monastery in the village of Agros. The monastery was once replete with monks functioned normally. Later, between the 16th and 17th centuries has a major epidemic in the region from the deadly disease cholera. The people, to protect themselves from the epidemic, they all went and built their houses just outside the monastery, under the roof of the Virgin. Thus was created the village of Agros. The monastery functioned normally until 1830. Later, after the monastery no longer housed monks, the diocese began to have the rooms of the monastery, for rent. They began to exploit somehow the monastery. This practice lasted until 1880. It should be mentioned that for a long Ottoman estates to give to the monastery, so to avoid paying the taxes imposed on them. However, residents rose up and began to ask and they claim. One of the residents had suggested that if demolished the monastery will cease the metropolis to maintain rights. So it happened. In 1894 they demolished the monastery. When the bishop went on to serve the abbey, was confronted and surprised by the demolition. This was not accepted by the metropolis, thereby impose a fine on residents.
The same year the inhabitants on their own initiative, started building the present church that exists today in the center of Agros village. Work finished in 1909. It is a cruciform building with a dome. Several large church that is can accommodate up to 1500 people. Externally it stone by stone. The temple is 97 feet long and 48 feet wide. The height of the dome is 49 feet and the wall around bearing thickness 4 ½ feet. The steeple real spectacle, tall and touches on the northeast corner of the church, has three large bells. Inside are whitewashed but not hagiographic. The altar remains the same, as was saved during the demolition of the monastery. The temple notable wealth in the temple. It is wooden and carved. Flanked by attentive beautiful images of saints hagiographic by the famous painter Solon Frangoulis, which were painted from 1930 until 1934. Inside is flat and quite spacious in the presence of additional gallery.
The loft was built later in 1955. The dedicated image of the Virgin, there is very old in 1856. The image was covered with silver painted cover. This was maintained until 1987, which became the revelation of the holy image. The image was kept and is now in the adjoining chapel was built in 1990 to commemorate the existence in this area, the Monastery of Megalos Agros. Along with this old picture, there are other objects salvaged from the monastery, as a piece of the screen, the image of Christ, many other images, some incunabula gospels and books, old sacred utensils etc. This small chapel is a small but very important museum that reminds us of the greatness of the monastery of Megalos Agros Special Both Despotic icons are masterpieces of Byzantine art and impress each pilgrim.
The Virgin Eleousa celebrated on November 21 is the Presentation of the Virgin in the temple. A festival and there are many believers who come to worship the holy image.
John the Baptist
East of the village, between the houses, built around 1860, the church of St. John the Baptist and it is unknown how much lasted construction. The church was built on the initiative and the contribution of the villagers. It is the second parish of the village with devout internal environment and serving its residents Beyond Neighborhood Is Royal style, with tiles on the roof. Its length is 100 feet wide and 25 feet. It is unique in Cyprus in terms of length. The inauguration of the church took place in 1892.
1984 had the replacement of the roof after the passage of many years, and due to the many showers gradually broke, caused serious damage, so considered necessary to make the replacement. Externally, it is bounded by a low wall, which is lined by stone. The yard, comfortable and encrusted stone also in the area. In 1990 two noticeable and lined with stone fountains have been built. The one east and the other west of the courtyard.
Inside there are some paintings such as the Virgin Our Lady above the sanctuary. 1914 constructed rich carving wooden screen. In the temple formed the two gates, the beautiful gate (central) and the north gate (right). Internally it is flat. 1960 Coating new floor after the old with the old plates, could no longer endure the abusers of the faithful. The dedicated image, dating from 1887 and located in the temple, just next to the holy image of Christ. Celebrated solemnly and where is the procession of the holy image on 29 August.
The church of St. Gerasimos was built at the beginning of this century and is located north of Agros Gymnasium and very close to the drilling "Amine".
The church construction work began in 2004 and ended in 2008. Although still not been inaugurated, however, are often functions as on August 16, on October 20, on March 4.
It is a small church basilica with a wooden iconostasis that was painted between 2006-2008 by Nicola Talliadoro. The dimensions of the church is 6 m. Wide and 14 m. Long, while around the church is covered covered space with a width of about 3 meters.
The construction of the church was made after a vow of Kyriakou and Elizabeth Tsolakis, after the car accident their son Anthony, frequent contact with the elder Chrysostomos of the Monastery of Saint Gerasimos the Jordanian and surgery Anthony on October 20, 1999, feast of St. Gerasimos and Anthony Cephalonian birthday.
The church was erected on private property Kyriacos Kyriacou Tsolaki with the family expenses and Elizabeth Tsolakis and the substantial contribution of the contractor Andreas Tsolakis.
The chapel of Agia Kyriaki chapel of Agia Kyriaki is located five kilometers northeast of the village, in Agrou- Nicosia road. From the church of Agia Kyriaki distinguished monument of Cypriot Fighters, who is a pious memory and offer price at campaigner Pitsilias of the 1955 generation.
It is a church basilica with a wooden roof, like that of John the Baptist Agros. The interior of the church adorn a simple wooden iconostasis that was painted in 2000 by Kyriakos Agridioti and frescoes began in 1997 and completed in 2007. The church is small, with dimensions of 4,5 x 4.60 meters.
The chapel was built in 1992-1993 in memory of Economou Papachristodoulou Avgoustis, who died in 1989, and he was the priest of the church of Timios Prodromos Agros. The inauguration of the temple was officiated by Bishop Chrysanthos Limassol on July 7, 1993.
The construction of the chapel was spending Sunday Papachristodoulou elder and family.
This charming village is rich in activities and beauty! Worth a visit!
Start Point: Rural road between Lagoudera and main road Chandria - Polystypos 700 meters from Lagoudera village.
End Point: Agros (in Agros by-pass, the point above the dam)
Estimated Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Difficulty Rate: Category 3: High degree of difficulty trail Route with difficult terrain such as very steep gradient (uphill and / or downhill), course in particularly rough and / or slippery, and / or steep terrain. Not suitable for young children.
Trip Length: 6 km