Pafos Gate

Pafos Gate was one of the three gates in the walls built by the Venetians around Lefkosia (Nicosia).

The road beginning immediately outside the gate led southwest to the town of Pafos (Paphos), hence the name. It was also known as ‘Gate of San Domenico’, because it replaced an earlier gate of the Frankish walls, called ‘Porta di San Domenico’ after the nearby abbey of San Domenico.

The gate is a simple affair, an opening in the wall roofed by a barrel vault. During British occupation in 1878, part of the walls between the Gate and the Roccas Bastion was demolished to create a new opening. Pafos Gate Police Station is just above the original gate.

Address: Lefkosia
Operating Period: All year round

Σχετικά Άρθρα


G. Taramidis Nature Trail

The trail passes through the Machairas forest and offers panoramic views of all sides east, north and west of Kionia peak....


Kampos tou Livadiou Trail (Circu...

One of the main characteristics of this path is the ancient black pine trees that you will see along the way.


Vathia Gonia Beach

Covered with fine golden sand, Vathia Gonia Beach is located in Agia Napa, approximately 400 metres east of Nissi Bay.


Agia Christina Church

The church is located in the middle of the Germasoyia historical centre and it is the most ancient church of the...