Pafos Gate

Pafos Gate was one of the three gates in the walls built by the Venetians around Lefkosia (Nicosia).

The road beginning immediately outside the gate led southwest to the town of Pafos (Paphos), hence the name. It was also known as ‘Gate of San Domenico’, because it replaced an earlier gate of the Frankish walls, called ‘Porta di San Domenico’ after the nearby abbey of San Domenico.

The gate is a simple affair, an opening in the wall roofed by a barrel vault. During British occupation in 1878, part of the walls between the Gate and the Roccas Bastion was demolished to create a new opening. Pafos Gate Police Station is just above the original gate.

Address: Lefkosia
Operating Period: All year round

Σχετικά Άρθρα


Sirena Bay Beach

This is a small and narrow sandy beach with clear water.


The Byzantine Churches in Nicosi...

The local route of the Old City is a tour to the churches of Nicosia. This stroll can be made on foot since the streets...


Agia Christina Church

The church is located in the middle of the Germasoyia historical centre and it is the most ancient church of the...


Makronissos Beach - Blue Flag

A cluster of three bays stretching out to the west, the southwest and the southeast form the well-sheltered Makronissos...